An important component of good nutrition is nuts. Nutritionists argue that for better absorption of their beneficial substances, these dry fruits must be soaked. The most affordable for many consumers are walnuts. They are soaked most often, therefore this process requires special study.
Do I need to soak nuts in water before eating?
For many years, raw foodists have been tormented by the question of how to soak walnuts and whether it should be done. Experts have established the presence in seeds and dry fruits of a large number of vitamins, minerals, healthy fats. In these products there is also a lot of fiber, phytic acid.
Nuts allow you to quickly get enough and nutritionists advise them to eat about 1 cup every day. But the flip side of their use is the fact that they are absorbed for a long time and leave a feeling of heaviness in the stomach. Over time, their taste becomes cloying, and even a handful of fruits cause discomfort in the digestive system.
The thing is that dry fruits are as if in hibernation. At this time, their nutritional properties do not appear, so they become complex raw materials for processing by the human body. But the solution to this situation was found - to soak dry fruits in water.
Important! In order not to harm the body, do not eat more than 300 g soaked walnuts in a day.
Nature has taken care of the seeds and nuts so that they become active and germinate only under favorable conditions. They give young shoots only after wintering and in a humid environment. The usefulness of the fruit is maintained with the help of the so-called enzyme inhibitors. They slow down the growth enzymes, due to which a bitter taste is felt in the mouth.
These biocatalysts have an overwhelming effect on the human body. If dry nut kernels are regularly consumed, then pancreatic enzymes can increase in size. It is easy to remove the bitter inhibitor - it is necessary to apply the soaking of the nuclei in water. A moist environment helps wake up all the nutrients in nuts.
The benefits and harms of soaked nuts
- If the kernels are soaked well, this leads to positive indicators:
- bitterness is eliminated;
- the taste becomes soft, sweet;
- nuts are not assimilated in hours, but in minutes;
- complex organic compounds turn into simpler;
- phytic acid is eliminated;
- the absorption of minerals and vitamins is accelerated;
- acid-base balance turns into alkaline.
Important! Dry nuts contain a large amount of phytic acid, which helps fruits protect themselves from birds and animals in the natural environment. For the body, a high content of this acid has a harmful effect.
How to dunk
For soaking, it is better to use environmentally friendly, non-processed chemicals. Walnuts collected in their garden are most suitable for consumption. To start, the kernels must be removed from the shell, washed with water from dust.
The use of purchased fruits requires some points to be considered:
- you need to choose whole kernels;
- the husk protects nuts better from harmful factors and fungi;
- at the bottom of the bag or box there should be no walnut dust indicating the breeding of pests.
Soaking walnuts is easy in two ways: in plain water and saline. The first method is the easiest. Pour enough washed kernels into warm drinking water, cover and leave to swell. After this, the water must be drained, the fruits dried on a towel or in the oven.
Did you know? Two glasses of walnuts per day replace the daily need for food.Such food is considered full, rich in all the necessary elements and vitamins.
To soak in saline, you need sea or pink Himalayan salt. There are much more minerals in it than it has the usual cookery look. To swell a glass of almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts, you need to take one teaspoon of salt.
Saline solution will help to quickly awaken the nucleus and activate the enzymes contained in them.
If you decide to treat yourself to a healthy nut kernel breakfast, then follow these instructions:
- Prepare a glass jar for soaking, plastic is not suitable.
- Rinse the cores in water, remove defective, moldy specimens.
- Pour the selected kernels into a jar, fill with warm water so that it slightly covers them.
- Pour the required amount of salt, mix.
- Cover with foil.
Did you know? The high magnesium content in walnuts contributes to a calming and hypnotic effect. If you eat 3-4 nuts with honey per day, then spasms of the cerebral vessels are removed.
How long to keep in water
Inexperienced raw foodists do not know how much kernels need to be soaked. In a salted solution, it is enough to hold for 4 hours. But for better swelling, it is allowed to withstand them up to 12 hours. If you decide to cook healthy food for yourself in the morning, then simply fill the fruits with warm water for the night. This time is enough, otherwise the kernels can sprout or deteriorate.
What water to soak in
Soak cores in hot water more efficiently. It kills bacteria, viruses. If you use a saline solution for swelling, you can use ordinary cold water. Its alkaline environment will perfectly cope with parasites.
Drying after soaking
Many lovers of nuts and seeds do not know that they need to be dried after soaking and why do this. Experts advise that at the end of the procedure, they must be given heat treatment.
You can use the following methods:
- Natural drying. It is enough to put the soaked product on a paper towel or cloth in a room that is well ventilated. Stir kernels periodically to dry evenly.
- Electric dryer. Before drying in a household appliance, set the minimum temperature. The procedure can last up to 6 hours.
- Oven. Dry soaked nut fruits in the oven at a temperature of +50 ... + 80 ° С. Keep the nuts neatly laid on a baking sheet for up to three hours. Use after cooling.
- Microwave. For this method, it is important to set the low temperature mode correctly. Only 1-2 minutes will be enough to dry the fruit.
Did you know? The walnut contains a protein that is identical to the milk protein. Its assimilation is much easier by the body, due to the high content of lysine.
If at least once you try to soak walnuts yourself, then immediately feel the difference from fried and dried. Only use their precautions carefully so as not to upset your stomach. Moderate consumption of such healthy fruits can become a habit, as one of the rules of a healthy diet.