Elimination of turning a rose into a rose hip: what to do, why a rose becomes a rose hip
By breaking the rose garden, every grower dreams of a chic flower garden. But there are certain difficulties along this path. After a few years, chic rose bushes can begin to reborn. What are the causes of this phenomenon and what to do to eliminate the problem - later in the article.
Can a rose turn into a dog rose
When growing the queen of flowers, the vaccination method is often used. So that the bush has a powerful and strong root system, as a stock, a related plant is used, namely, wild rose.
Cuttings of selection varieties are grafted onto its young stems. The result is a plant with the root system of a wild bush and rose shoots. But such an ideal method of reproduction has one significant drawback - the plant is threatened by wildness (i.e., degeneration).
Why does a rose turn into a dog rose
It may happen that after 3 or 4 years, the shoots of a cultivated rose will begin to wither, and the stems of the rosehip will go into active growth. In just one season, the bush risks becoming a wild relative.
Important! To prevent the degeneration of the rose, it is necessary to take a responsible approach to the choice of seedlings, to observe the planting technology (the depth of embedment of the vaccine) and the rules for further care.
Such a nuisance can occur due to several reasons:
- if the root buds have their own buds: at the same time, along with pink shoots, rosehip shoots will also develop, and over time, a more resilient relative can completely suppress the growth of the vaccinated culture;
- if planting technology is not followed: the grafting site should be in the soil at a depth of about 8 cm, if it is located closer to the surface, the seedling grows weak, and the sprouts of a wild relative begin active growth and inhibit the cultivated plant;
- if a strong-growing and fast-growing dogrose is chosen as a stock, then the shoot will appear almost completely - for this reason, you need to choose the right stock;
- with a disease or a weakening of the bush, there is also a high probability of suppression of the cultivated plant.
How to understand that a rose grows into a wild rose
Roses can be reborn gradually, so often flower growers do not immediately notice disturbing symptoms and take care of the bush, as before. But food and watering are no longer received by noble shoots, but by wild growth. Therefore, it is very important to determine the moment of rebirth as early as possible. It is easy to distinguish adult plants from each other, but it is more difficult to do with young ones.
Did you know? The smallest flowers in the world have a variety of roses Xi, the size of the buds is not more than rice grain.
Here are a few key differences:
- the stems of most cultivars are painted in a reddish color, in contrast to the bright green stems of the dog rose, which can grow both in the center of the bush and at some distance from it;
- the shoots of the rose are thicker and covered with large single spikes, and at her relative - thinner and dotted with small thick thorns;
- foliage of cultivated varieties is painted in a deep dark green color and has a glossy surface, and rosehip leaves are smaller and lighter, rough or slightly pubescent.
The main indicative sign of the difference is the color of the shoots, since, for example, in curly roses, the stems are covered with small thick spines.
How not to turn a rose into a rosehip
The vaccination site (a thickening with several shoots growing from it) must be kept sprinkled with soil. And if it is exposed by watering or loosening, this can give an impetus to the growth of wild growth and the degeneration of roses. For this reason, the base of the bush should be regularly spud. Therefore, even if the branches are frozen in winter, the lower buds will give new sprouts. If the first signs of wildness of a cultivated plant are detected, the situation should be urgently corrected.
Important! Especially carefully you need to monitor cultivated plants for 3 and 4 years, since it is at this time that wild shoots most often appear.
Cardinal actions consist in the following manipulations:
- Dig the place of germination of wild growth (shoots can be placed even at a distance of 50 or 70 cm from the main bush).
- Wild growth cut secateurs under the base, without leaving a single kidney.
- Treat the slice with garden var or iodine.
- If there is a reappearance of rosehip sprouts, repeat all steps again.
What roses do not grow into a dogrose
Not all plants run the risk of growing into a close relative. Sometimes roses are propagated using cuttings, i.e. cultivation on their own roots. Such specimens cannot degenerate into a wild relative, but they are weaker and worse tolerate colds than grafted plants.
Is it possible to make a rose from a wild rose
As a stock rose can be used for any rose varieties. Vaccination is carried out from July to August.
The vaccination algorithm is quite simple and consists of several sequential actions:
- Harvest varietal stalk with several buds.
- To scrub the earth from the roots of the stock and carefully wipe the neck (the place where the underground part passes into the aboveground) with a rag.
- On the neck, make a T-shaped incision with a sharp knife.
- At last year's annual cuttings, cut the stem about 2 cm with a kidney (shield).
- Bend the bark in the incision and carefully insert the shield.
- Wrap the place of vaccination with polyethylene tape for a good fixation.
- Sprinkle the vaccine with moist soil so that it is well covered.
Video: Vaccination of roses on rose hips
At first (about a week) you need plentiful watering. If everything is done correctly, then by the fall shoots will begin to grow. Before winter, the bush must be covered with soil to a height of 20 cm, and covered with a spruce top.
Did you know? The oldest rose bush grows near the cathedral in Hildesheim (Germany). According to conservative estimates, this plant is about 1000 years old.
The specimens grafted onto the dog rose have a good root system and, therefore, strong growth, but risk being reborn.To avoid this, you need to carefully monitor your plants and take the necessary measures in a timely manner.