Description and characteristics of Spartan blueberries
Spartan blueberries are tasty and healthy. This is a unique variety that ripens early and gives a lot of harvest from one bush.
There are a lot of options for blueberries. Among the varieties, it is worth noting the Spartan variety, which was selected in 1956. It has been widely used in horticulture since 1978.
The birthplace of the berry is North America. The variety is unpretentious to the location, grows well and bears fruit, especially in peaty, marshy and rocky areas. It is widely used by gardeners, since proper care almost guarantees a high yield, and therefore income for the entrepreneur. Absolutely everyone can plant bushes in his garden and receive fresh berries in season.
The berries are large, deep blue (sapphire blue). Each fruit has a velvety coating. Fruits the bush with small brushes. The shape of the berry is round, slightly flattened. It is great for transportation, because it has a dense skin and a fleshy middle. Blueberry fruits have a tart-sweet taste with a sour note.
Important! Watering for a plant takes an important place. No need to fill the culture, because the roots can rot.
The size of one berry reaches up to 18 mm, the approximate weight is 2 g. From one bush you can collect up to 6 kg of the crop, which is a lot. At the same time, proper care of the plant is important - soil fertilization and pruning.
The bush of the plant is completely covered with leaves. Their color can be with a reddish tint at first or richly green when the fruits ripen. The leaves are large, elliptical in shape, dentate or even along the edges.
The main characteristic of the plant is its frost resistance. With ease, the culture withstands sub-zero temperatures of -28 ° C. As for the mummification of berries or the dying off of shoots, the variety Spartan practically does not.
Flowering period and ripening period
Blueberries of this variety are unusually tasty and healthy. It blooms in late spring, which practically guarantees a good yield, since the peduncle will not be damaged by spring frosts. The bush begins to bear fruit in July. In the midst of summer, on the table of every gardener who has at least one bush of culture, you can enjoy sweet fruits.
Did you know? It is possible to meet blueberry bushes even in the Arctic.
Scope of berries
Description of taste characteristics and composition of berries indicates their value.
Variety Spartan concentrates a lot of useful substances:
- organic acids (oxalic, citric, ascorbic and malic);
- folic acid.
In addition to the listed components, there are also phenolic acids, carotenoids, phytoestrogens, flavonoids, anthocyanins, salts of copper, magnesium, calcium and iron.
Thanks to such a rich composition (blueberry), the Spartan berry is useful in a number of diseases and conditions:
- The cardiovascular system. Berries have a cardiotonic effect, well strengthen the walls of blood vessels, prevent the appearance of heart disease. Eating fruits improves blood composition.
- urinary system. The composition of berries actively treats a number of diseases such as pyelonephritis, kidney stones, inflammatory processes of the genitourinary system, cystitis, hydronephrosis.
- Organs of vision. Blueberry components have a positive effect on visual acuity, relieve stress and are able to treat cataracts, hyperopia, myopia and glaucoma.
- Gastrointestinal tract. With a disorder such as constipation, you just can not do without Spartan berries, which act on the intestines as a mild laxative. Normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract, restore normal microflora in the intestine.
- Prevent oncology. Regular consumption of fruits protects the human body from the appearance and growth of malignant tumors.
- Antipyretic properties. It is recommended to use during colds, as a handful of berries can even reduce high body temperature.
- Radioactive Protection.
- The immune system. A depleted human body is saturated with all the necessary trace elements and vitamins to fight colds.
Important! It is recommended to eat berries for pregnant women, the elderly and children. Do not overeat with blueberries, as excessive intake of berries can lead to nausea and vomiting.
Disease and pest resistance
The garden version of blueberries grows well and bears fruit, because it is practically not affected by diseases (mummification of berries), pests (aphids) and adverse factors. If you properly plant the culture and place it in the right place, then you can forget about such problems. Resistant to fungal disease moniliosis and monilial burn.
There are practically no plant planting features. One has only to choose a place with an acidic composition of the earth. One of the most optimal regions for landing is considered to be the Moscow Region. A moderate microclimate, marshy peaty soil, coniferous forest soil are the main conditions for the normal growth of blueberries.
Did you know? "Star berries" - this is what America used to call blueberries, due to the flowers on the bush in the shape of stars.
The choice of soil is important when planting, it should be acidic (not less than 3.5-4 pH). To determine the acidity, it is worth paying attention to which plants grow on the site. If there is sorrel and horsetail, it is they that testify to acidic soil. You can also buy a tester for determining acidity (pH meter).
There are several stages of landing:
- Planting blueberries should be carried out in warm land in late spring. Seedlings with a closed root system are used.
- The landing site should be well lit by the sun and protected from the wind, the soil is acidic. With insufficient soil acidity, watering with the addition of citric acid is used.
- In the Moscow region, bushes should be planted (culture) separately from each other at a distance of 1.0–1.5 m in not very deep trenches, holes or ridges. The selection of seedlings is also important - you need to choose plants in containers.
- The distance between the bushes should be (from 50 cm to 140) 50-140 cm, the depth of the pit up to 50 cm.
Video: Spartan Blueberry Planting
A true patriot gardener certainly knows all the subtleties of growing blueberries. Shrub pruning is as important as planting. It is best carried out in late autumn, after the leaves fall completely or in early spring before the formation of buds.
The main difference between blueberries and other plants of this species is that pruning should not be done often. It is enough to cut off all old branches, lower shoots every 6 years, leaving about 6 pieces of the healthiest shoots. Such pruning of the bush will only increase its fruiting and productivity.
Blueberry seedlings are bought only in special containers and from trusted distributors. Landing is open and closed, carried out in pre-prepared soil. Before planting with open roots, they need to be dipped in water for 15 minutes.
After that, in four stages carry out the landing:
- At a distance of 1 m from each other, dig holes with a depth of 50 cm and a diameter of 60 cm.
- The bottom of each pit should be laid with pebbles or rubble, on top of which a hill of pre-prepared substrate should be poured (30% of high peat and 30% of humus).
- Landing is carried out on the formed hill, laid on it and spread the roots of the plant.
- When planting, seedlings must be buried in the soil to a depth of 5-8 cm.
- After all the seedlings are abundantly watered and mulched with a 5-centimeter layer of bark, peat or straw.
Diseases and pests
The most common crop diseases are rust and powdery mildew. It is quite possible to avoid this if you do not often water the plant, care for and cut it on time, and also spray it with a specially designed fungicide from early spring, for example Topsin-M.
Among pests, a common tick and aphid are common. They can be prevented with the help of an insecticide such as Actofit, which sprayed the crop once a spring from the harvest to the fruiting season or in late autumn after harvesting. Also, after leaf fall, it is worth burning all the leaves and digging the soil near the bush.
If you constantly monitor the plant, spray it from diseases and pests, and also cut it on time, then the crop will be good. It is also necessary to periodically feed the soil with the help of nitrogen fertilizers, as well as with the content of sulfates and calcium, for example Fertika-universal - NPK. Nitrate options are not used.
There are two ways to regulate soil acidity:
- If the pH is below 3.5, then urea is used;
- If the pH is above 4 - potassium or ammonium sulfate, or superphosphate;
- In winter, each bush needs to be insulated, this will not allow the roots and pagons to freeze. The plant is frost-resistant, but still each seedling will need to be wrapped with snow, agrofibre or spruce during cooling.
Growing berries at home is not difficult, especially if the gardener knows all the details of the necessary care. The recommendations presented will help to figure out what and how to do to collect a certain number of berries during the season.
Erect bush 1.5–2 m high. Ripening time - from the second decade of August. The average yield from the bush is 4.5–6 kg. Fruits are light blue, large (16-18 mm in diameter). Only with the third harvest, the berries become smaller. They have a very good aroma and pleasant sour taste. The implementation is mainly fresh. Very beautiful vertically growing bush.